Portland, Oregon-based composer Daryl Groetsch’s output under the name Pulse Emitter forms a catalog of nearly one hundred physical releases since the early ‘00s. The full scope of his wide-ranging experiments in synthesis and electronic arrangement encompasses everything from expansive new age drift exercises, to purely textural noise sculpting, to post-Berlin School cybernetic prog compositions. Pulse Emitter approaches electronic composition from the perspective of a master craftsman, harnessing a fine-tuned sense of narrative development and a penchant for juxtaposing contrasting synth voices from far-flung corners of his arsenal of softsynths, app-based programs, and hardware instruments. While he conjures time-lapse vistas of galaxies and nebulas in our mind’s eye, the sophistication of his arrangements and the universal beauty of his harmonies pushes the lens inward on the self, resulting in a journey that is as personal and internal as it is celestial.
As of 2022, Daryl Groetsch has also been creating pure ambient space music under his birth name.
- Pitchfork: Dusk reviewed
- The Best Ambient on Bandcamp: November 2022
- Willamette Week: article/interview
- Bandcamp Daily: Lost in Space Music: Records That Explore the Outer Limits
- Pitchfork: Swirlings reviewed
- NPR: All Songs Considered
- Bandcamp Daily: Acid Test
- Tiny Mix Tapes
- Vice: Noisey
- TBD Presents (YouTube)
- 15 Questions
- Form the Head (Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher)
- Bachelor of Music Composition, Missouri State University, 1998.
- Groetsch is pronounced Gretch.